Wednesday, March 21

theologians. they don't know nothing.

What is this, opposite week? I work with a guy who will throw out options like opposite day and finding new terms for cool. This is beside the point because the point is that it seems looking back over my week of class that I enjoyed the class I don't enjoy and was frustrated with my favorite class, Reformation Theology. It's my professor's last semester teaching and he has taken on a feisty demeanor. He's out with his fighting gloves trying to show how his trinitarian/affective theology is valid and held by others in the scholarly realm. And he keeps being met by grumblecakes from other scholars and students which seems to only make him feistier still. This is part of a trend I'm noticing in the broad sweep of my studies. This past week I completed a paper on the warning of Hebrews 6:4-8 and every interpreter seeemed to not only hold a different view but also seemed quite willing to bash the others. Oh, scholasticism. I started to miss the Church, the practical application of all this talk. I also wondered if anyone outside this circle of specific scholars even care about these things. Maybe they've become so specialized with the purpose of closing out others or to simply stand on their own creative ground. I wish there was more room to encourage and uplift one another than to defend our own well-founded view.

1 comment:

Halden said...

Heh heh! Feisty Frost. Glad I'm missing that. I always hated it when every class by him turned into 'Affective Theology 101'...whether it was ethics or patristics, there was always a way to make the class about ONE THING.

But seriously, theology can be fun, and even a churchly, gospel-shaped thing. I've seen it happen as recently as last Monday's book study group at my church. But yeah, sometimes those moments are few and far between.