Monday, January 26

while we're in a crisis


I've been doing some pretty mediocre research for work today, that is after I got home from work. At actual work today I called someone in Argentina and we conversed on the regulations of importing wine into the US. (Did you know you can't ship alcohol to a home in Maryland?!?) I was supposed to "work from home" on Friday and instead of putting a dedicated four hours into it, I spent a good hour and a half working on one article about Argentine wine imports and spent the rest of the day doing the homewife things I really wanted to check off my list. One more reason I wouldn't do well working from home. That and the long list of instant watch movies I've queued on Netflix. I'm moving farther from the point. So, tonight I was researching bands coming to Portland with the motivation of "please, please just get this over with and don't worry about leaving evidence of solid research." After finishing a handful and then finishing off The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I did some personal research on David Bazan, who just happens to be playing in Portland in a few days. I've been milling over the idea that in these times of economic crisis when a well meaning girl can't find a part time job and has an overflowing handful of laid off friends, David Bazan should be played on the bus and at the bars and softly during the nightly news to give us some perspective or proper footing. You would listen for quite a while and start to despair over our collective condition as you sang along, but then you would get to a quiet song toward the end of a Pedro the Lion album when Bazan sounds more like your mother calmly shhh-ing into your ear as she brushed back your hair. It will be okay. We will doubt and rail and be an American version poor for a little bit, but we will be okay. But you don't believe, when I say that it will be alright. Alright.

I know I'm voicing my opinion a bit late (we've known about this recession things for a while now), but instead of headlines with exclamation marks for words and more reports on stocks and unemployment, I think we should quietly sit and listen as David Bazan sings.

No comments: