Thursday, June 14

Here I am

Good news folks. The Sanchez family is now legally connected to the internet. We bade farewell to our neighbors wifi and not our neighbors (we'll miss you fireman) a couple weeks ago. Now there's a guy installing carpet next door in the empty apartment and singing loudly in spanish. And Jon and I are at home, lounging about as he has finished work early this week in preparation for his upcoming entrance into academia. I'm not sure how playing video games helps you prepare for a master's in teaching program. I'll have to ask him. Cleansing the palate, he says. As for me I just have the day off.

I always thought I was a laid back, easy going person. When I moved to Portland, my roommate Karla was quick to inform me I was type A. How was I supposed to know? I have been surrounded by type A's my entire life. And let me tell you when you live with Type A's the house will be clean. When I got married, Jon was quick to inform me I grind my teeth at night. So somewhere I'm holding in this stress, I suppose, unleashing it when I sleep. Last night, after a closing shift at work that went surprisingly well, I dreamed I was stuck at this cottage like Starbucks store trying to get it closed up before the openers came. It was a disaster. And people told me this job would be stress free. I often wake up in the middle of the night and my mind is focused on making my sleeping husband a drink or fixing the chai pump. Is it in Fight Club that there's a line about dreaming about work? As if it didn't take up all your time during the day. Was it fight club?

All that to say two things: I may be stressed, and I'm starting to miss school a little bit. At least, I miss the balance school provided with work. But it was a forced balance because in school I have to be reading and sitting all the time and at working I have to be standing and cleaning and interacting with a wide range of people all the time. Now I'm free to create the balance and so I'll work at writing a curriculum for our 3's room for father's day and Jon are shopping for grown up clothes this afternoon.

I do have some exciting news. My friend Karla is officially back from her time in Afghanistan. She's great and unpredictable and I love spending time with her. Also, a friend from church is bringing home her son from Korea today. He is adorable and I'm growing more in my amazement over the adoption process. Very exciting.

3 comments:

Travis said...

Now, I didn't say that you [or Jon or Andy] are pretentious, but that the city of Portland is quite pretentious in and of itself. I've seen it with mine own eyes, there's no denying it. Plus the tickets are non-refundable, so I'm coming anyway.

Also, what is the line from your last post?

Sammy said...

Just to warn you, you did state the following in close conjuction:

- "father's day"
- "Jon are shopping for grown up clothes"
- "I do have some exciting news."

This - briefly - led me to believe Jon would be celebrating Father's Day in a whole new way this year. Either way, we are thrilled to celebrate with you via dinner on Sunday evening!!

lynette said...

To Travis:
The quote from my last post, you pretentious pretension, is from a professor I had in college. He was showing us a book he had from 1640, the Bay Psalms Book. We had to guess the year the book was published. We were way off and he had news for us. I kept thinking about that quote while studying the Reformation this past semester.