Tuesday, November 20

Food Service Feast

The warmth and bustle of the holidays are approaching. Tomorrow I'll prepare for our Thanksgiving feast by cleaning our bathrooms, doing some laundry and shopping for those last few items. Jon and I are sort of pioneering Sanchez Holidays in Portland. Our first Thanksgiving here was a month before our wedding. I cooked turkey breast using the ragamuffin appliances and cookware at 2nd base and if I'm not mistaken Eric Mora joined us. Last year we had the Albertson crew, who have since migrated to the East Coast. This year we are joined by Andy and Anne and a peach pie and cheesy Christmas music. And we've got a bottle of fine red wine.

In preparation for this year's Thanksgiving my mind has been mulling over the holiday meal we got at Drake, hosted by the cafeteria staff. It was a food service oddity, the holiday meal. All the staff would smile, slicing roast beef and setting up the tables of pie. I remember live music and Christmas lights. By my junior year every meal I ate in the school cafeteria gave me some sort of stomach ache, but those holiday meals are good, warm, well-fed memories. It seems that at the cusp of a homemade Sanchez feast, what I really want is to use my meal card for a pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Andrea Cooley said...

who could forget Thanksgiving at Olmsted? definitely one of my favorite campus meal memories :) glad you had a good thanksgiving