Saturday, December 15

Moving at the Speed of Unproductivity

I turned in my last paper on Wednesday after turning in my last two "take-home" finals that morning. I took the rest of the night off, then the next day I went to work. The next day after that I went to work. And tonight I'm going to work. I did get a glimmer of hope and relief knowing that I had finished the semester, but the rest of my life seems to be moving right along at the same pace. Ah, well. I can't complain, because if given an actual day off with no obligation at work or church or home, I'm not sure what I would do. Now that I can't default to schoolwork with my freetime I'm opting for cleaning the bathrooms. Lame. Recently, though, I've been thinking about they rhythm of the seasons. During these winter months when you get about 2.5 hours of sunlight/graylight it's easy to get gloomy and depressed right along with that cloudy sky. The other viable option would be to let the low light lull you to sleep. What if God planned for this time during the year as a means of rest when you lay low, go to bed early and sleep late? I've been getting more sleep these past few months, and I think, as a result have yet to catch a cold. Coworkers, family, fellow students, friends have all managed one or two colds by now, while team Sanchez remains strong and healthy. I think it's the sleep. Because if God wanted us to slow down during winter, when the cold/sickness threat is at its highest, and his means of doing so was turning down the lights, but we ignored such an opportunity and kept running at the same pace we're messing with the created order. We're going to end up sick and depressed. But, if we go with the rhythm of winter and read and nap and sleep in and come close to hibernation, well we could be on to something here.

I'm trying to think through what my life would be if it was perfectly unproductive. On one side I want to accomplish great things. I want a biography written or at least a small memorial article that would feature the handful of things I did. On the other side I'm tired and want some of that Sabbath-rest, especially after writing a paper on Sabbath-rest in Hebrews 4. So somewhere between going to work, cleaning our soap-forsaken house, writing christmas cards and scrambling to get some christmas gifts together, i'd like to sit back and do nothing. here goes.

2 comments:

Brandon Barker said...

I hope you are doing well. I know everyone is busy this time of year. I hope you and Jon have a great holiday season.

allijack said...

I've thought about that winter slow down... it's hard when our work schedules and other commitments flow along like normal. but there's something natural about slowing down. and what if we did hibernate a little bit? sleep a little more? stay in and read. I'm going to try it. and not get sick.