Monday, December 15

has it been seven months? sheesh!

Oh the weather outside is frightful.


But the fire is so delightful...


First, I offer my sincerest apologies. After graduation I started thinking, I'll post again when the next big thing happens. So, when I got a great job or found out I was pregnant, I would blab it all over this little blog of mine and let the world know. Neither of which have happened so this blog has been left fallow, for a long time. Again, sorry. Though, I'm not convinced you've been hurt by this. I more so got bored seeing the same pictures of the coast each time I tried to visit your blogs using my links. So, here's what has been happening:

This summer Jon and I both worked chump jobs. When I graduated from seminary, working at Starbucks got a whole lot more frustrating and annoying. I would spend the first hour or two when I opened muttering to myself about how much I hated that place. It's really easy to hate everything at 4:15am. In July we went down to California to see family and to meet our new nephew Elias and niece Leelah. And I celebrated my birthday and turned 25. In August we went out to the MidWest to see family and friends. It was lovely. While we were there Jon had a phone interview with the North Clackamas School District and got hired to teach 8th grade Social Studies while we were parked in a Goodwill parking lot in Kenosha, Wisconsin. I don't think we bought anything there, but we left with a real job. As soon as we got back to Portland, Jon started working and has been working pretty constantly ever since. I, on the other hand, quit my job at Starbucks and became a housewife. I've been cooking dinner and doing dishes ever since.

Except for today. Today Jon has been sitting pretty because it was a snow day and school has been called off for tomorrow, too. Last winter we didn't get much inclement weather. This year, we've got nearly a week of promised snow. For those not in Portland, Portland can't handle the snow or ice. The city shuts down. At least most of it. The odd thing is, now that Jon has a couple of surprise days off, I'm off working. I've been interning at our church, Imago Dei, in the children's ministry department since this summer. It's been a good yet hard learning process for me to balance being faithful in the ministry opportunity I have now without much certainty about what will come out of it. A couple weeks ago I scored a second unpaid internship at Portland Monthly magazine. It's a grunt work, fact checking internship and I'm giddy with excitement. Most of my college magazine friends paid their internship dues to Meredith publishing and are off being editors. I retreated to seminary after graduation and will be paying my dues now for three months. We were shown a tracking sheet for articles today and I got excited, remembering my Drake Mag days. Hooray for being back in the magazine world. So, today I had an orientation at Portland Monthly while Jon was at home snow daying it up.

Next, I'm planning to apply for an internship with the Zissou Society. I'll let you know how it goes. And hopefully I'll start posting again. In the past few months as I've been looking to get back into writing and editing, when I had a chance to write, even cover letters for jobs, it was (to sound New Age) a renewing and energizing process. When I don't write, I forget that at least part of me is a writer and at least part of the time I should be doing it.

Thanks for being forgiving and for reading. Hopefully there will be more to come.

1 comment:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Hooray! I never lost faith.