That last one was a little melodramatic I suppose. I have been listening to Joanna Newsom in my defense. No, my semester isn't over but I do have the chance to breathe a bit. I've been working on a crux interpretum paper (the name sounds fancy, it's latin for "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about") and then had an essay exam in reformation theology. I actually thought for a couple seconds while taking the test that I was going to cry, or run out, or panic. I calmed myself down and wrote about Calvin's influence on Geneva, a comparison of the ministries of Luther and Zwingli, and then the various understandings of grace in the late middle ages and early reformation (um, Erasmus picked up on Aquinas who thought he had Aristotle and Augustine all wrapped up?). We'll see how that went. In the midst of all this work I've had much to write about and thoughts on which I'd like your opinion. I'll start with something non-school related.
Ever since, let's say high school, I've naturally eeked my way into leadership positions. And add to the stack I'm officially promoted at work and begin training next week. Throughout all these positions and organizations I kept looking for a role model or authority over me. Even when I write I get scared initially and retreat to how things are done traditionally. And right now I'm leading with a definite sense that I'm not being led. And though I love the ability to dream up a vision and delegate responsibility and work with a group of people to colaborate on one project, I feel like there is a false assumption being made. That is, those who lead are (I don't want to use the word autonomous) without the need for authority or correction. Simply, they don't need what they do for others. I want to be led (and not in the way I was told I would in pre-marital counseling, yuck)by someone other than myself and my own vision for what my life is. I don't want to make the broad statment that leaders need leading most, but in the least, I wouldn't mind it.
I'm trying to think through heirarchy a bit right now. It's place in the church and in gender roles. I think we are set up on this earth in a certain way and need to pay a little reverence that maybe someone else has a better idea of what is going on. I hope so. I have to give a presentation next week that gives words to women being silent in the church. It's complicated, I'll say. Can we first commit to the idea that we won't solve this problem in a paper?
Wednesday, April 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Lynette, I'm feeling the school push too. AAAGH. However, there is at least one thing that Union has helped with and that is recommending feminist books. Rosemary Radford Ruether is one of the biggest feminist theologians out there and her book, Sexism and God-Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology, is *the* feminist systematic theological text. If there is one book to help you think outside of assuming hierarchy, or at least being aware of patriarchy, that would probably be the book. I think its rather readable and accessible. At the very least it would help you inform your ideas of hierarchy even more.
thanks dave! as always you are welcome to join the sanchez family for easter dinner. hope you are doing well.
gah! why must you do that to me... I'm over here in nyc! And lucky me, thanks to my brother coming up, I'll be stuck in the New York autoshow this saturday (I'm thinking about bringing a book personally), perhaps that parallels well with Christ in the grave? or maybe thats just blasphemous. heh.
No we cannot commit to that. You will solve this problem in the course of writing your paper or you will fail.
Post a Comment