In fourth grade we did a smell experiment in class. My mom was there helping and there were different scents sealed in glass tubes. We would smell them and then identify the smells. I'm sure we were learning some noble things, but one of the scents scarred my memory of smell. I can't remember what the smell was, but whenever it come wafting into my nostril I'm instantly revolted. That one very minor incident of scent has been imprinted in my mind.
The concept of finals week has earned similar treatment in my mind. My freshman year at Drake I must have had this magical finals week experience because at the end of every semester since I get giddy at the thought of finals. Part of it is pure nerd, I enjoy taking tests. In my mind I envision the professor announcing a challenge and it is my duty to prove my superior skill. You never know how much you've crammed into your brain until you actually have to reproduce it on the paper. I like being the first done. I'm coming to the point where I don't necessarily even care how I do.
More than the joy of tests (hint of sarcasm because I don't always enjoy them) is this image I have in my mind of what finals week looks like. You definitely watch a lot of movies. And just hang out because there's no work due next week. Once you are done, you are done and can relax. The funny part is, I don't think I've ever had my ideal finals week since the first archetypal one. I realized that people are really busy, really stressed and then they leave to go home. In seminary I had the hard reality of have class during finals week without a dead day in sight. I've had many a finals week that simply sucked. Yet, I still look forward to them.
This week I've got three tests and one presentation and now I'm halfway through. When the curtain falls on my presentation of the gnesio-lutherans and the philippists, I will be done. And then Jon and I are escaping Portland for the promised land of the MidWest. I hope you've bought your tickets and reserved your spot for our MidWest Pilgrimage 2007. See you soon.
Monday, May 7
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
You always did finish J30 tests rather quickly. Suspiciously quickly...
I always really enjoyed finals week too. It always seemed like an ongoing celebration and more free time to sleep. See you soon.
and you can't forget the impromptu dance parties in the dorm room when we would shake it like a polaroid picture...
My ideal finals week is when all the profs say, "You've all worked so hard...so lets not have a test." And you just eat cookies and drink punch.
But that rarely happens;)
Oh, and if there isn't already a middle name for the youngin', how about "Waylon"?
i kept hoping all semester that one of my professors would bring in donuts for us. it never happened. and thank you andrea for the reminder because those dance parties were a joy.
Guess what!?!?! I had a teacher this semester who didn't give a final...nuts!
In Christ,
Noah
Post a Comment