Thursday, February 5

mail surprises

Looky what came in the mail for me today. When I saw this album at Everyday Music on the listening wall I had that strange sense that I had seen it before. I was hesitant, though, because it felt like it could be a hoax. I slipped on the headphones and flipped the cd over to see that it was produced by Sufjan Stevens. Of course. And as the trumpets started playing and a small choir sang, I thought the Welcome Wagon must be Sufjan in disguise. I listened until my ears started itching (not in any metaphorical sense. I guess you can't trust public headphones anymore.). I decided to be prudent though I had the last of my Christmas money singing along in my wallet. When I got home, I did a little research to see if the album was a joke or a farce. Turns out it really is by a pastor and his wife who are sort of learning music along the way. The pastor is named Vito, possibly of "Vito's Ordination Song" on Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lake State. That must be common indie knowledge. I'm game. It will at least tide me over until Sufjan releases the next in his 50 states project. I hear Oregon is pretty cool.

Singing along this afternoon while doing dishes I decided I need to find someone willing to make this kind of music with me. I'm accepting applications starting now. And if you are interested in feeling pleasant, check out The Welcome Wagon on AsthmaticKitty.com.

No comments: