Wednesday, February 18

see my name, below


I've been doing a bit of writing as of late. I've also been whizzing through the chronicles of narnia. I'm beginning to feel that those tales are almost canon and when I'm done with the last book it will be equal to having read through the Bible. The writing, though, has been varied and started much like my work with Drake Magazine started. Freshmen year we quietly sat in Olmsted and tried to blend in at the initial Drake Mag meeting. I had zero story ideas and learned the next year that most freshmen ideas were jokes when the meet adjourned. A couple months ago, I was seated, slightly low in my chair and a bit pulled back, at a pitch meeting for one of the departments of Portland Monthly Magazine. I had zero ideas and didn't say much except to add that my church had laid off a couple people when one editor threw out the idea of the unitarian church shutting down for a month to save money. "What happens when God goes broke?" was the story idea. Later, when the editor who had the idea was laid off I was asked to report on and write the piece. That same week, I got a rushed email asking if I could report on the regional barista champion that afternoon. The week after the assistant editor glided over to my intern work station, smiled politely and asked if I could write a piece on renting versus buying in Portland. Here's what I have learned:

The Jehovah Witnesses have volunteers doing door-to-door ministry worldwide, amounting to 1.5 million hours of service each year.

There is a salt from Tanzania that cannot be imported to the US. It is part of the winning signature drink created by Portland barista champ along with Indonesian cocoa powder.

A foreclosure on your block could bring the value of your home down by up to 10 percent.

Some pastors are more willing to lay off staff than take a salary cut. They also laugh at the idea of cleaning the church's toilets. Other pastors think it is unjust to lay off a staff member when no one else sacrifices.

The national barista championships are being held in portland march 5-8. At the competition baristas make four espressos, four cappucinos and four of their signature drink in 12 minutes while seven judges look on.

I've also learned a bit about cooking bacon, drinking Spanish wine grown in Oregon and Star Wars. It was a surprise that I got to write this early into my internship. The editor-in-chief is really stoked on our group of interns. They've even allowed us to check out keys to get into the office. I am noticing that after three years of academic papers and reading, I'm having a hard time being clever, witty and the like, but hopefully I'll regain it. Until then, feel free to ask my about any of the above topics. I've had to become a quick expert on each.

1 comment:

Andrea Cooley said...

You're a writer! I have utmost confidence in your ability to craft witty prose. Promise to bring copies of your stories to San Francisco. I can't wait to read them!