Thursday, January 18

for the higher ups

So, I'm set now for a promotion and promotional training at work, but before that can take place I need to go through something called a "Calibration Interview." My manager promised to get me ready for it and reassured me it would alright. Then today at work our district manager was in and before I left to go home she told me this: Yes you can do the work of a shift supervisor but you need to think about why you want to do it. My answer? I'm not quite sure yet. Other than a nice raise and a chance to exercise some of my leadership skills, I'm not feeling a genuine desire to climb that step up. Work is work. I like it, but I also like not feeling panicked about school and church and friends and family. I like work, but I'm not laying down on the tracks for it. I can think of lots of good interview answers on why I really want this job. The thing is I'm not so sure that I do. When I started my barista adventures I told myself there would be no moving up and then here I am readying myself for an interview with professional dress, cheesy answers and a coffee tasting. It may be that I'm just psyching myself out. A job is job is a job and a raise is a good thing. I just wish I didn't have to fake passion about something I'm not all that passionate about.

4 comments:

Travis said...

Are you passionate about leadership? That would be one way to look at it, from beyond the job perspective. Anyway, you're way qualified for it; I'm sure you could be the manager of any coffee shop in a church atrium. [Metzger joke]. Ciao and good luck.

Andrea Cooley said...

faking a passion about something you're not really passionate about. Oh Lynette, some days I feel like that's my job, but I think that's ok, for me atleast, it's where God has put me and it's my choice to like it or not. But in terms of cheesy answers you should have read my cover letter for my job at Remodel. You would have thought I was the next suzy home builder. I think you can sell your talents and make them work for the position. what do you think?

lynette said...

i told jon about it and he laughed, putting me at ease and making me remember that this is still my job at starbucks. i can fake it and be honest at the same time. i can embellish the honesty. i love it how magazine journalists become experts on subjects that aren't necessarily connected to their lives. that's who we are meant to be in most cases and that oftens proves to be interesting in itself.

Brandon Barker said...

I take it the manager and district person are not avid readers of your blog?