...If it's backwards you want, then you want Multnomah. (alternative title)
So it ends, my twelve hour work day on this white collar holiday (as my co-worker so aptly put it). Unfortunately, I was wearing my black polo at work and wasn't able to participate in the festivities. For some reason the seminary decides each year to completely disregard the American convention to not have class on Labor Day, thus putting me at a plastic gray table for three hours for a discussion on biblical theology and leaving me with the sad revelation that I don't like biblical exegesis. My degree is primarily in biblical exegesis. If only I'd known when I started I would have gotten a Master's in Trinitarian Theology. I digress. What I really wanted to complain about (as I have for the past three days) is the fact that I had to go to work and class on Labor Day. Bah! I sort of feel (as I did last year) that my rights as an American had been revoked as I marched to class. I should have pulled out my passport, then they would have known. I understand Multnomah, we're to think of ourselves as citizens of the Kingdom of Heaven, but could we just have this one day?
Oh, well. I would like to extend a quiz to you, my devoted reader. What are the origins of Labor Day? I feel like it has something to do with a world war or the New Deal. Prove me wrong. And with that we'll put this fine and ambiguous holiday to rest.
Monday, September 3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I heard in a sermon that Labor day's origin came from the railroad workers strike back in the late 1800's. I can't remember what president it was, but it was an election year and the guy threw in this holiday for all the working class folks. Sorry about your laborious labor day! :o)
Post a Comment