Watch out international waters (and lands), I've got a legitimate passport. One more official document that identifies me as both Hispanic and very very white at the same time. I got the prized possession in the mail yesterday. Apparently, I got the "Stars and Stripes" edition. The U.S. government decided to step up their passport technology by implanting an electronic chip in my passport's neck and the designers refused to be out done. Each page is a sweeping mural of amber waves, purple mountains and the like. Very inspiring and more so a bit ridiculous. Have you seen the new passports? They ooze patriotism. I suppose it's because you only need a passport when you are leaving the country and the U.S. government doesn't want you to forget America's greatness. "Look traveler, we've got Mt. Rushmore. We've got eagles. We've got Abraham Lincoln chiseled into rock. Uruguay doesn't have that. Come home, won't you?"
So, I told some of this to my co-closer at work last night. Her first question: "Where are you going?" As if I got a passport for the functional instead of the sentimental value. I've got nothing as far as international travel plans go, though I'd like to change that. My motivation in getting a revised passport was this thought: what if we win a trip for two to Japan and I'm stuck at home? That would be sad. But if I have a functional passport it's logical that travel will follow. Jon and I are both graduating in May and getting Master's degrees, so I figure we've earned ourselves a trip (let alone a career). I'm also thinking it's been too long since I was last in London and England as whole. I'm going to do my best to convince all involved that we need to take a trip back there. If the flights are expensive it would be balanced by free admission to the museums. Well worth it. Besides there are some people I'd like to see again. The Queen for starters.
Saturday, September 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment